Preventative Health Checks
- Blood pressure checks
- Height and weight checks
- Health assessments- Annually for patients over 75 years old
- Health checks for men and women 45-49 years old
- Healthy kids’ check
- Skin Checks
Chronic Disease Management
- Management of diabetes, heart disease, asthma, high blood pressure, depression and other chronic illnesses
- Enhanced programs of care/ care planning
- Home medication review- this is coordinated between the pharmacist and GP
Sexual Health and Contraception
- Pap smears
- Breast examinations
- Contraception advice
- Implanon insertion and removal
Shared Antenatal Care
- Antenatal care is shared between the GP and the Bega Maternity Unit
Skin Cancer Medicine
- Full Skin checks
Minor Surgery/ Procedures
- Ear syringing
- Incision and drainage of abscesses/ cysts
- Wedge resections of ingrown toenails
Minor Fracture Management
- We can manage simple fractures with full or partial plaster casts
Travel Advice and Vaccination
- Workcover injury prevention and management
- Pre-employment medicals
- Employee preventative health checks
ECG, Spirometry, INRs, etc
- Electrocardiograph (ECG)
- Spirometry (Lung Function Tests)
- Point of care monitoring of INRs
- 24 hour BP monitoring
Immunisations and Wound Care
- Adult and child immunisations
- Wound dressings and management
Consultations are made by appointment only and can be arranged by calling the surgery during normal opening hours. We do however reserve appointment slots for emergencies each day. A standard consultation time is 10-15 minutes with longer consultation times available upon request, please note that a higher fee will be incurred.
Other on-site services
- Cosmetic Medicine
- Psychologist services
- Visiting Specialists including:
- Pain management
After Hours and Home Visits
Emergency & After hours services are available at:
South East Regional Hospital –
4 Virginia Drive – approximately one kilometre south of the Bega CBD on the Tathra Road Bega
Phone: 02 – 6491 9999
Health Direct – Phone: 1800 022 222
Health Direct is a 24-hour telephone health advice line staffed by nurses to provide expert health advice and information. The helpline is available when your GP may be closed – at nights, on weekends and on public holidays.
This service is available through Healthdirect and is free from landline phones.
- after hours GP helpline operating times:
- 6.00 pm to 8.00 am Monday to Friday
- 6.00 pm Friday to 8.00 am Saturday
- 12 noon Saturday to 8.00 am Monday
- 24 hours on public holidays.
- Calls are answered by a nurse who will assess the caller’s condition. If necessary, the nurse will transfer callers to a GP on the telephone.
- The GP will talk to the caller, assess their condition, make a diagnosis and provide medical advice.
- The after hours GP helpline is not intended for patients with life-threatening conditions that need to be treated immediately.
- In an emergency, callers will be immediately transferred to ‘000’ with the nurse or GP staying on the line.
Please call 000 if you require urgent medical attention.
Home visits are available for regular patients who have a condition which prevents them from attending the surgery. Visitors should contact the emergency ambulance service or attend the Emergency Department at Bega hospital.
Nursing or Residential home visits are available by arrangement. After hours appointments during weekdays are available with prior arrangement only. Please enquire at reception.
This surgery has a Triage system in place and is equipped to deal with most emergencies. Our staff are all trained in emergency patient triage and first aid.
Telephone Calls to Doctors
Urgent calls will be triaged and put through to the nurse or Doctor if required. In the case of non-urgent calls, a message will be taken and the call will be returned as soon as possible.
Transfer of Records
Should you choose to register as a patient at Main St Medical Centre, you will need to transfer your records from your previous doctor. The reception staff will provide you with a form to complete for this purpose. Should you need to leave the Practice, you will need to obtain a request from your new doctor. This may incur a fee.
Third Party Fees
During your consultation the Doctor may recommend that you see a Specialist Doctor or undergo certain tests. Please be aware the Specialist Doctors will normally charge a fee for their service. For information on individual costs, please contact the Specialist
Doctor’s secretary whose contact number will be printed on the referral letter.
Additional service providers such as pathology (blood tests etc), X-Ray, physiotherapy, podiatry etc. may also charge a fee for their services. Patients may contact the individual service providers to ascertain their fees.
Renewal of Prescriptions
The doctors at this practice will only issue prescriptions in person and require at least 2 days notice of your medications running out. Please contact the surgery to make an appointment for this purpose. Please do not attend on the same day without an appointment as we will be unable to accomodate you.
In order that you are not disadvantaged financially, the doctors will bulk bill your visit. Please note however, that should you need to discuss matters beyond that of a prescription renewal, you will be billed accordingly for a full consultation.
Patient results will be checked by the doctor as soon as the Practice is in receipt of them. Should the doctor wish to discuss the results, patients will be contacted by a member of staff and an appointment will be made at the time convenient to the patient.
Only single-use equipment is used at this Practice. Procedures and treatments are carried out in accordance with Royal Australian College of General Practitioner Standards. The highest levels of infection control are maintained at all times.
Patients are encouraged to make use of the antibacterial hand gel which is available throughout the Surgery. Patients are asked to also make use of the disposable face masks if they are unable to control coughing and sneezing.